(PETS/NATIONAL PET DAY) Today is National Pet Day, and it’s the purr-fect time to show your pets some extra love.
Established in 2006 by pet and home lifestyle expert-animal advocate Colleen Paige–who also founded National Dog Day and Cat Day, as well as National Puppy Day and Kitten Day–this national paw-liday celebrates the joy pets bring to our lives while spreading awareness about the plight of shelter pets awaiting adoption all over the world.
In honor of National Pet Day, here are some fun ways to celebrate and great quotes that will make you love your pet even more!
Don’t have a four-legged friend? Check out our Pet Adoption database!
Ways To Celebrate National Pet Day
1. Adopt a pet from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization.
2. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to care for the animals.
3. Donate blankets, food and toys to a favorite animal welfare organization.
4. Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells pets from puppy or kitten mills.
5. Have a National Pet Day party and celebrate all your pets!
6. Spend the day taking photos of your pets and then post them on our Facebook page!
7. Assist an ill, elderly or a financially struggling neighbor or friend by purchasing pet food, hay or needed items for their pets.
8. Purchase a National Pet Day Tee Shirt (or other gift item) here, to express your devotion to all animals.
9. Buy your pet a fun new toy….or two…or five.
10. Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot.
Quotes About Pets
1. “If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans. — James Herriot
2. “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.” — Josh Billings
3. “A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance and to turn around three times before lying down.” — Robert Benchley
4. “The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too.” — Samuel Butler
5. “Sometimes losing a pet is more painful than losing a human because in the case of the pet, you were not pretending to love it.” — Amy Sedaris
6. “When an 85-pound mammal licks your tears away, then tries to sit on your lap, it’s hard to feel sad.” — Kristin Higgins
7. “Dogs are better than human beings because they know but do not tell.” — Emily Dickinson
8. “No animal has more liberty than the cat … The cat is the best anarchist.” — Ernest Hemingway
9. “Happiness is a warm puppy.” — Charles Schulz
10. “Pets are humanizing. They remind us we have an obligation and a responsibility to preserve and nurture and care for all life.” — James Cromwell
11. “Animals are such agreeable friends — they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms.” — George Eliot
12.“Perhaps the greatest gift an animal has to offer is a permanent reminder of who we really are.” — Nick Trout
13. “Dogs never bite me. Just humans.” — Marilyn Monroe
14. “Dogs are wise. They crawl away into a quiet corner and lick their wounds and do not rejoin the world until they are whole once more.” — Agatha Christie
15. “Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.” — Colette