(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) This creamy vegan squash soup is ideal for cold winter days. Filled with veggies and a variety of unique flavors, it’s so savory and the perfect winter comfort food.
The best part? This soup can last for days and is just as good as leftovers as it is fresh! As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
The Ultimate Creamy Winter Squash Soup
Yield: 5 servings
- 5 ½ cups winter squash squash , chopped into uniform pieces (I used a combo of delicata, Tahitian and butternut)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 zucchini , chopped (pieces should be uniform to squash)
- 1 cup sweet onion , sliced
- 6 sage sprigs
- 6 thyme sprigs
- drizzle coconut oil or olive oil , optional for brushing squash for roasting
- sea salt, to taste
- ½ cup cilantro , loosely packed
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup walnuts, soaked overnight if not using a high speed blender
- ½ cup raw cashews , soaked overnight if not using a high speed blender
- 4 cups veggie broth , low sodium if needed
- pumpkin seeds for garnish , optional
Preheat oven to 400 F/ 205 C
Place squash and garlic on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Hints for preparing squash: I scooped out seeds, peeled and cut into uniform pieces before roasting, but you can also roast whole and prep after. If you are using delicata squash, the skin can be eaten. The Tahitian and butternut needs to be peeled. Using a vegetable peeler works great.
If using oil, drizzle over squash. Place thyme and sage sprigs over squash making sure to spread out evenly. Lightly sprinkle with salt.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Once 20 minutes is done, place zucchini and onion on the cookie sheet with the squash and garlic.
Bake another 25 minutes. If your pieces aren’t uniform then take out any pieces that are soft when tested with a fork and continue to bake until all pieces are soft.
Once done, allow to cool a bit.
Recipe Courtesy of Veggies Don’t Bite
More Veggies Don’t Bite: https://www.veggiesdontbite.com/the-ultimate-creamy-winter-squash-soup/