(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) Sometimes having a surplus of quick, healthy meals can be a lifesaver. This black bean burrito with guacamole is an easy, go-to recipe for any Meat-Free Monday.
It’s hearty, healthy, and super simple to make–especially if you cook the rice ahead of time. While the original version of this recipe includes Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, it’s easy to go vegan as the cheese isn’t going to make or break the burrito.
Try using a grill pan or panini press for the perfect, crispy tortilla. As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Black Bean Burrito With Guacamole
Yield: 2 burritos
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup minced red onion (see note)
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime
- 2 large whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed if using canned
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion
- To make guacamole, cut avocado in half around the pit and spoon out the avocado into a bowl. Add in the onion, cilantro, garlic, and salt. Cut the lime in half and squeeze 1 to 2 tablespoons of lime juice over the guacamole and stir. Taste and adjust salt and lime juice as needed.
- Spread about 1/4 to 1/3 cup guacamole in the center of a tortilla. Layer half the rice, beans, cheese, lettuce, and onions on top of the guacamole. Roll into a burrito (see note) and tuck in the ends.
- Heat a grill pan or panini press over low heat and place the burritos seam side down. Place a weight on top and let cook until tortilla is brown and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Serve with remaining guacamole or salsa.
Recipe Courtesy of Naturally Ella
More Naturally Ella: https://naturallyella.com/black-bean-and-guac-burrito/