(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) Celebrate a guilt-free Valentine’s Day with these vegan Berry Love Pies with Red Velvet Crust. These pies are sure to wow your sweetheart, and believe us, they taste as good as they look!
The rich red velvet crust is completely gluten-free and coated with a delectable homemade berry jam. Flare up your pies with fresh or dried fruit, crushed nuts, coconut flakes, and whole berries. As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Berry Love Pies With Red Velvet Crust
Yield: 3 servings
For the Berry Jam Filling
- 15 medium strawberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- A dash of vanilla powder (optional)
For the Crust
- 3/4 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup dried mulberries
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted
- 4 dried black figs, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons carob or cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon beet juice powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons strawberry powder
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
To Make the Berry Jam
- Blend all of the ingredients (except for the chia seeds) together until smooth. Pour into a jar or sealable container and stir in the chia seeds.
- Cover the jam and place it into the refrigerator overnight.
To Make the Crust
- Place the dates and figs into the food processor and run it until a thick paste is formed.Remove them and set them aside.
- Place the remaining ingredients (except for the almond milk) into the food processor, and run until a rough flour has formed.
- Add the date-fig paste back in along with the almond milk, and blend them until they are well mixed. A ball should form.
- Place the mixture into a bowl, and try to spread it out along the sides of it to be sure to make a large surface area.
- Place the dough into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Line your muffin/cupcake pan with parchment paper.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of the crust and press it against the sides and bottom of the cupcake pan to form a crust. This recipe makes enough crust for 3 pies. Save some crust for the tops of your pies.
- Place it back into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tin from the freezer and fill the crust with the jam.
- Place it back into the freezer while you prepare your crust topping.
- Remove the pies from the pan and top with the remaining crust.
If you are looking to add a little flare to your pies you can use fresh or dried fruit, crushed nuts, coconut flakes, and whole berries to decorate them.
Recipe Courtesy of One Green Planet
More One Green Planet: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/berry-love-pies-with-red-velvet-crust/