(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) Fulfill your carnivorous cravings this Meat-Free Monday with these vegan “pulled” mushroom sandwiches.
With umami-rich grilled mushrooms and tangy barbecue sauce, this sandwich is sure to satisfy meat eaters and vegans alike. As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Vegan “Pulled” Mushroom Sandwich
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups wood chips soaked in water (apple or cherry)
- 1 pound whole trumpet/king oyster mushrooms
- 1 each head kale, finely sliced (chiffonade)
- 2 each carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 each red onion, julienned
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 4 each sandwich rolls
1. Heat the grill to between 600° and 700° F. If using a gas grill, spread the drained wood chips in the smoking box and place it on the hottest part of the grill. If using a charcoal grill, place the drained wood chips directly on the coals. Allow chips to heat for 15 minutes until they start smoking.
2. Then, place mushrooms on grill and cook for 20 minutes until darkened, but do not allow them to burn. When mushrooms are done cooking, allow them to cool slightly, then shred with a fork.
3. Meanwhile, to make the slaw, mix together the kale, carrots, and onion in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix vegan mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, and crushed red pepper. Whisk to combine, then pour over the slaw and incorporate.
4. Heat oil in a saucepan, add mushrooms and BBQ sauce, and sauté until sauce is caramelized and has coated the mushrooms.
5. To assemble the sandwich, place kale slaw on the bun and top with mushroom mixture. Bon appetit.
Recipe Courtesy of Vice Munchies
More Vice Munchies: https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/d7kq4y/vegan-burger