(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) Spice up your Meat-Free Monday with this vegan Valencian rice dish.
Paella is all about the saffron infused rice, and this vegan paella is loaded with mushrooms, artichoke hearts, red and yellow bell peppers, roma tomatoes, and green peas.
If you’d like, you can also add a protein like vegan mock chicken, sautéed tempeh, or even tofu. As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Saffron Threads
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 large Red Onion, Sliced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, Sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Sliced
- 1 cup Brown Mushrooms, Sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Bomba Rice
- 2 Roma Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 1 cup Green Peas
- 1 can Artichoke Hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup Parsley, chopped
- Combine the stock and saffron threads in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and maintain a simmer. Meanwhile, heat paella pan on the stove with 1 1/2 tablespoons Olive Oil.
- Add Onion to Paella Pan and sautee for 2 minutes. Add sliced red and yellow pepper and continue to saute till softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and sautee for 5 minutes or until it has softened slightly. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add Bomba rice, tomato and smoked paprika and cook, stirring, for 1 minute until well mixed through. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add one-third of the saffron infused stock and stir until just combined. Let simmer uncovered for 5 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed.
- Add the next third of the stock and cook for 5 minutes uncovered or until almost absorbed. Add remaining third of stock and cook for 5-10 minutes uncovered.
- Sprinkle surface of paella with peas and artichoke hearts. Cover entire pan in tin foil and leave to cook on a low heat for 12 minutes. After 12 minutes, turn heat off but leave the paella pan covered with tin foil for another 10 minutes.
- Remove tin foil after 10 minutes and garnish with parsley.
Recipe Courtesy of Crazy Vegan Kitchen
More Crazy Vegan Kitchen: http://www.crazyvegankitchen.com/vegan-paella/