(CATS/LIFE WITH PETS) Calling all cat lovers! October 29 isn’t just any Caturday–it’s National Cat Day!
Opposed to National Dog Day on August 26, today is dedicated to celebrating cats and spreading awareness about cat adoption. Founder Colleen Paige suggests observing the paw-liday by donating food to local shelters and animal welfare groups, spoiling your feline friend with some new toys, or dressing up as a cat–just in time for Halloween, too!
But the best way to celebrate life is to save a life, so always remember to adopt–don’t shop! And while you’re at it, check out these 20 purrfect ways to celebrate your favorite feline friends! — Global Animal
National Cat Day
“What greater gift than the love of a cat?”—Charles Dickens
1. Adopt a cat from your local shelter or cat rescue.
2. Make a commitment to your cat’s health and buy all natural products from food to litter, such as BLUE Naturally Fresh Cat Litter made from walnuts.
3. Donate blankets, food and toys to animal welfare organizations.
4. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to play with some cats available for adoption, clean cages and litter boxes or anything else they need help with.
5. Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of kitten mills and gas chambers in your state.
6. Bake some cat shaped cookies for your kids, friends or office and bake some tuna cookies for your cat.
7. Have a safety check of your home to make sure it’s safe for your new cat.
8. Spend the day taking photos of your cat and posting them on our Facebook page.
9. Buy an official National Cat Day Tee here and sport it proudly!
10. Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by cleaning their cat’s litter box and playing with their cat.
11. Commission a custom portrait painted of your cat.
12. Buy your cat a fun new toy….condo, bed or treats!
13. Give your cat some fun exercise by putting up some walls shelves specifically for him/her.
14. Make a window perch for your cat to lay in the sun.
15. Brush your cat to eliminate excess fur and hairballs.
16. Give your cat a calming massage.
17. Paint your face, wear kitty ears or dress in cat related fashion.
18. Buy your cat a collar and tag with your name and number, just in case they get outside and happen to become lost.
19. Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot.
20. Have a National Cat Day party and invite all your friends and their cats!
More on National Cat Day: http://www.nationalcatday.com/