(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) The end of summer is near, so let’s make sure to have a Labor Day celebration filled with fun and yummy food. With back-to-school season and autumn leaves upon us, enjoy this last weekend for summer barbecues, cook-outs, and get-togethers.
These vegan bacon-wrapped hot dogs are ideal for the holiday weekend. A tasty, healthier alternative to all-American franks, these meat-free dogs have all of the flavor and texture, but without all of the cholesterol. As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Vegan Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog
Yield: 2 hot dogs
- 2 Field Roast Spicy Hot Dogs or vegan dog of your choice!
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 2 tbsp siracha
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 slices of faux bacon
- 2 hot dog buns
- 1/2 white onion
- ketchup and mustard as desired
- In a pan over med/high heat cook the sausages in olive oil for 5 minutes until you get a good sear on them.
- While cooking dice the white onion and jalapeño pepper.
- Toast the buns in the oven on 350 for 3-5 minutes
- Add the fake bacon and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for a minute. Wrap the bacon around the sausage and hold in place with toothpicks. Place back in the pan and cook for another few minutes.
- Remove from heat and place on buns. Top with sauerkraut, onion, mustard, siracha, and jalapeño
- For less heat use non spicy sausages
- Add avocado to lower the effect of the spice
- Add banana peppers for more diversity in toppings
Recipe Courtesy of Eat Drink Shrink
More Eat Drink Shrink: http://www.eatdrinkshrink.com/cooking/vegan-bacon-wrapped-hot-dog