(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) Did you know there are five varieties of Girl Scout cookies that are vegan? This includes everyone’s all-time favorite, Thin Mints! These mint chocolate cookies are a classic that need no introduction.
But with Girl Scout cookie season soon coming to a close, now you can enjoy them all year long with this cruelty-free recipe. These cookies are both vegan and gluten-free, but you’d never know it! As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Thin Mint Cookies
Yield: 36 servings
- 1½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup arrowroot
- 1½ teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup organic sugar
- ¾ cup virgin coconut oil, warmed, slightly cooled
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons mint extract
- Place racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 325°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, arrowroot, xanthan gum, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Using a rubber spatula, mix coconut oil, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla extract in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in dry ingredients until combined, then stir in applesauce.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop balls of dough (about the size of a small lime) onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2″ apart. Using the back of your hand or the spoon, flatten balls into ½”-thick rounds. Bake cookies, rotating once halfway through, until edges are set (cookies will firm as they cool), 12–15 minutes. Transfer parchment with cookies onto wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, stir chocolate chips and mint extract in a medium heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water (water should not touch bowl) until melted and smooth (or heat in a microwave in 10-second increments and stir until smooth).
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper (you can use the same sheets you baked on; either refresh the parchment or flip it over). Once cookies are cooled, dip tops of cookies into chocolate glaze and place on prepared sheet. Chill cookies to firm them up, at least 15 minutes.
Do Ahead: Cookies can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 week.
Recipe Courtesy of Bon Appetit
More Bon Appetit: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/erin-mckenna-thin-mint-cookies