(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) For this week’s Meat-Free Monday recipe, try a simple meal that seems fantastically gourmet. These vegan parmesan cauliflower steaks served over hemp pesto zoodles are deliciously filling and hearty in all the right ways.
The vegan parmesan is a simple mix of raw cashews, nutritional yeast, and spices, so every hunk of roasted cauliflower is bursting with cheesy flavor, but without the dairy.
Simply toss the zucchini noodles with a thick hemp pesto sauce, and voila! As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Meat-Free Monday: Parmesan Cauliflower Steaks Over Hemp Pesto Zoodles
Yield: 4-5 servings
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons hemp seeds, divided
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 3 medium zucchinis
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pine nuts
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (about 2 cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil or non-stick spray.
- In a food processor or blender, add cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Process until it resembles fine sand. Stir in 2 tablespoons hemp seeds.
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower. Vertically slice the cauliflower into 3/4-inch steaks. You should get about 3-4 slices. Place the cauliflower on the baking sheet; drizzle each side with a little olive oil. Sprinkle the parmesan mixture onto both sides of each cauliflower steak.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the edges of the cauliflower are slightly browned and crispy.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, spiralize, julienne, or thinly slice the zucchinis into noodles or thin strips. Place in a large bowl.
- In the food processor or blender, add 1/4 cup hemp seeds, olive oil, almond milk, lemon juice, walnuts, basil, salt, garlic, and pepper. Process until smooth. Pour the sauce onto the zoodles; toss until fully combined.
- Divide the zoodles evenly onto 4 plates. Top each with a cauliflower steak.
Recipe Courtesy of Emilie Eats