(MEAT-FREE MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) Cozy up this Meatless Monday with a nice, hearty bowl of vegan chili.
This red lentil, sweet potato, and carrot chili may be vegan, but it’s jam-packed with protein and fiber.
Chock-full of sweet potatoes and carrots, this chili is naturally sweet and bursting with antioxidants! Adding kale and/or spinach also gives you a nice serving of iron-rich greens. As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Red Lentil, Sweet Potato, and Carrot Vegan Chili
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 3 cups tomatoes, blended into small chunks, about 3-4 large
- 3 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup packed spinach or kale, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion; cook until translucent. Add the garlic, cilantro, salt, pepper, and thyme; stir frequently. Cook until the onion and garlic are slightly browned and deliciously fragrant.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, and lentils; stir to combine. Add blended tomatoes and water and mix; turn the heat to high.
- When the chili comes to a boil, cover and turn the heat down to low to let it simmer. Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Once it’s cooked, stir in spinach and oregano; let it cook for a couple more minutes until the spinach is wilted.
Recipe Courtesy of Emilie Eats