(MEAT-FREE MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) For this week’s meatless meal, warm up with a nice, steamy bowl of curried tomato tortellini soup.
This fortifying lentil and tomato-based stew is filled with hearty, tender dumplings, spiked with a range of spices, and boosted with plenty of spinach.
Not only is it delicious and filling, but it’s also simple, week-night friendly, and great for leftovers. As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Curried Tomato Tortellini Soup
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 4 big handfuls spinach, chopped (or frozen equivalent)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sweet (or smoked) paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, with liquid
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, plus more to taste
- 8 ounces / 1/2 pound fresh vegan tortellini
- to serve: a bit of grated vegan cheese, lemon (optional)
If you’re using frozen spinach, set it on the counter to thaw a bit. In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or so, until the onion has softened a bit. Stir in the garlic, wait a minute, then add the curry powder, paprika, turmeric, and chile flakes, and stir well. Break up the tomatoes with your hands as you add them to the pot along with the tomato liquid, stir in the lentils, and the water. Cover and allow to cook for 15 minutes or so, until the lentils have cooked through. Stir in the salt, and then the tortellini. Cover and cook for another 3-5 minutes, or per package instructions – until tender and cooked through. Stir in the spinach bring back to a simmer, and serve with a dusting of cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice. If you need to thin out with a bit more water, do so, and re-season. Enjoy!
Recipe Courtesy of 101 Cookbooks
More 101 Cookbooks: https://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/curried-tomato-tortellini-soup-recipe.html