(MEAT-FREE MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) Nothing says ‘comfort food’ quite like macaroni and cheese. For this week’s meatless meal, opt for a guilt-free mac and cheese that tastes just like the real thing!
This cheesy, creamy sauce is made from only the best veggies and spices including nutritional yeast for that classically irresistible “cheese” flavor.
Not only is this recipe low in fat and oil-free, but it will even please the most hardcore cheese addicts. As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
The Ultimate Vegan Mac & Cheese
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups water
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 8 baby carrots (or 2 medium-sized carrots, chopped)
- 1 zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 of a sweet onion, chopped
- 12 oz. of pasta
- boiled vegetables
- remaining water from the pot (about 1.5 cups)
- 1/2-3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- pepper, to taste
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a small pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add in the sweet potato and boil for about 5 minutes. Add in the carrots, zucchini and onion. Boil for another 5-8 minutes, or until everything is soft and can be pierced with a fork. Remove from heat.
- In a separate pot, start boiling the water for the pasta. Cook 12 oz. of your favorite pasta, according to directions. Drain and transfer pasta back to pot.
- Start making the cheese sauce. Spoon out the boiled vegetables and transfer them to a blender. Add in the remaining boiled water from that pot. Be careful, it’s very hot! Add in rest of the ingredients for the cheese sauce. Blend it up and be sure to let heat out or else it can explode. I usually remove the small center piece from the blender top and just hold it over the top to prevent splatters while also letting out the heat. Taste test and add in extra salt or pepper, if desired.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta. Mix until well combined.
Recipe Courtesy of The Glowing Fridge
More The Glowing Fridge: http://www.theglowingfridge.com/ultimate-vegan-mac-cheese/