(MEAT-FREE MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) For this week’s Meat-Free Monday, warm up with this ultimate bowl of winter comfort food.
Simply roast Yukon Gold potatoes and green beans and toss them with warm rainbow quinoa, shredded kale, green onion, and a quick red wine vinaigrette.
Top it off with crunchy pepita seeds and sliced avocado for a bowl that’s warm, hearty, and bursting with nutrition! As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Warm & Roasted Winter Salad Bowl
Yield: 4-6 servings
For the salad:
- 1 cup uncooked rainbow or regular quinoa + 1.5 cups water
- 3/4 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 2 extra-large or 3 large garlic cloves (peel left on)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup stemmed and finely chopped kale (I used lacinato, but curly works fine too)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons pepita seeds (I added a handful of sesame seeds at the last minute too)
- Sliced avocado
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt or fine grain sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F and line one extra-large (or 2 large) baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the chopped potatoes, green beans, and garlic cloves (leave the peel on) onto the baking sheet. Toss with the oil and season with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Spread into an even layer.
- Roast for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and flip, and continue roasting about 10-20 more minutes until the potatoes and beans are tender and golden. Watch closely during the last 10 minutes to avoid burning.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa by adding the quinoa into a medium pot along with 1.5 cups water. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid, and cook for 13-17 minutes until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and leave the lid on to keep warm.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Chop the kale and green onions.
- When the vegetables are finished roasting, remove garlic cloves and set aside. Spoon the potatoes and beans into a large serving bowl. Stir in the quinoa and the other chopped vegetables.
- Trim the end off each garlic clove and push the roasted garlic out. Finely chop or mash the garlic. Whisk the garlic into the dressing until combined. Pour all of the dressing onto the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately. Leftovers can be reheated in a saucepan with some oil and the salad will keep in the fridge for a few days.
Recipe Courtesy of Oh She Glows
More Oh She Glows: http://ohsheglows.com/2015/01/21/warm-roasted-winter-salad-bowl/