(MEAT-FREE MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) For this week’s Meatless Monday recipe, impress everyone at your holiday party with these delicious vegan gingerbread cookies. They are the perfect blend of sweet and spicy, yet also low in sugar.
Not only are they scrumptious, but they are secretly packed with fiber, too. What more could you ask for?! Happy baking! — Global Animal
Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
Yield: 17 cookies
- 1 chia or flax egg (1 Tbsp chia powder (or flax powder) + 3 Tbsp water)
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or gluten-free all purpose flour)
- 3/4 cup Lakanto granulated sweetener or other granulated sweetener of choice
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 Tbsp water (more if needed to make dough sufficiently moist)
- frosting (optional)
1. Make chia/flax egg: combine chia or flax powder and water in small mixing bowl, and set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine flour, Lakanto, ginger, cinnamon, salt, pepper, baking powder, and baking soda, and whisk until thoroughly combined.
3. Add melted coconut oil, applesauce, molasses, water, and chia egg to medium mixing bowl, and stir.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well (you’re allowed to use your hands to do this!).
5. Divide the dough in half, shape each half into an oval disk (about 1 inch thick), wrap each disk in saran wrap or tin foil, and refrigerate them for one hour.
6. Preheat oven to 350F, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper (or spray with non-stick cooking spray).
7. If using cookie cutters, lightly flour countertop, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness, use cookie cutter to create desired shape, and place on baking sheet (1/2 inch apart). (To make regular circular cookies, divide each round disk into eight equal pieces, roll each piece into a ball, place on baking sheet, and flatten with the palm of your hand.)
8. Bake for 9-11 minutes. Cookies will harden slightly after removing from oven.
9. Decorate with frosting, if desired.
Recipe Courtesy of Veg Annie
More Veg Annie: http://www.vegannie.com/recipes/vegan-gingerbread-cookies