(PET CARE/CATS AND DOGS) Our pets are our family. However, many pet parents do not realize the products we use in daily life to maintain our health and home can have disastrous consequences if ingested by our animal companions.

Several everyday supplies have debilitating and even fatal side effects if consumed by our furry friends.

Below is a list of household items to avoid when considering the health of your beloved dog or cat. — Global Animal

There are dozens of household items deadly to cats and dogs that could be looming in your home. Photo Credit: Rover.com

6 Household Items That Could Kill Your Pet

Always make sure to store soaps and cleaning products in places where pets cannot find them. Photo Credit: veterinaryteam.dvm360.com

1. Fabric Softeners and Detergents:

Soaps and cleaning products can be detrimental to your pet, but Fabric Softeners are another product ranked high on the list of toxic supplies. Signs to look for: burns to the mouth, vomiting, coma, and muscle weakness.

2. Moth Balls:

Moth balls are a HUGE hazard for pets. They contain an insecticide that can be disastrous to the central nervous system and liver, causing seizures and death.

3. Mouthwash:

Some mouth washes contain a substance called boric acid. This substance could be detrimental to your pet’s health. Boric acid can cause vomiting, coma, or seizures.

Coleus plants can cause vomiting in dogs and cats. Photo Credit: Roger Price, Wikimedia Commons

4. Household Plants:

Some household plants are extremely toxic to pets and can be fatal if eaten. Some of these plants include: aloe, ivy, lilies and ferns.

5. Watch Batteries:

Batteries that contain alkaline acid can be fatal and cause the stomach to become ulcerated within 12 hours of ingestion. Signs to watch for: vomiting, lethargy, and lack of appetite.

6. Antifreeze:

This may seem an obvious hazard to many readers, but antifreeze continues to kill many pets a year. Unfortunately, the smell and taste of antifreeze is sweet to your pets, especially dogs, and therefore is an enticing yet deadly treat for canine companions.

Call a veterinarian immediately if you notice anything strange with your pet!