(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) For this week’s Meat-Free Monday recipe, switch up your typical taco night with these Crispy Cauliflower Tacos with Chipotle Crema.
Serve them with a healthy kale cabbage slaw that’s super easy to make–simply shred, mix, and voila!
The chipotle lime crema is creamy, spicy, garlicky, and undoubtedly the star of this dish–topping off the tacos perfectly! What’s more, the crispy cauliflower batter is completely gluten-free and actually pretty healthy, but makes all the difference! As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Crispy Cauliflower Tacos with Chipotle Crema
Yield: 10 tacos
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup AP gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup bread crumbs (seasoned with salt and pepper)
Kale Cabbage Slaw
- 2 cups kale, shredded
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 cups purple/red cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raw cane sugar
- sea salt and ground black pepper to season
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegan greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 tsp finely minced garlic
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 10 6″ inch soft taco shells
- ¾ of a small jalapeño, sliced (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 ripe avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, sliced into wedges for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with a silicone baking sheet or parchment paper, NOT foil.
- Remove florets from the cauliflower (aka don’t use the stem).
- Chop the cauliflower into smaller pieces to resemble the size of wings.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all the batter ingredients together EXCEPT the bread crumbs. Place the bread crumbs in a bowl. Line it up beside the batter bowl.
- Toss the cauliflower in the mixture one at a time, shaking off excess batter. Then, dip the cauliflower into the breadcrumbs to coat, then place onto the baking sheet. Repeat until all of the wings are coated.
- Bake for 22 minutes.
- While baking, prepare the ingredients for the sauce by whisking together.
- Remove from oven. You can stop here, and serve the wings sauceless with sauce on the side. The wings will be crispy this way. Alternatively, coat the wings in the sauce. With a pastry brush, brush the sauce onto the wings. Bake for another 5 minutes for the sauce to soak into the wings.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Kale Cabbage Slaw
- Mix all the ingredients for the slaw together while cauliflower is baking. Let sit on the counter or in fridge if not using immediately while everything else is being made so all the flavours can marry together.
- While cauliflower is baking, in a small food processor or with an immersion blender, blend all the ingredients together. Add a tablespoon or water to thin out the lime crema for drizzling if you so desire. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place in a squeeze bottle and in the fridge until ready, or in a small bowl to spoon over tacos.
To Assemble Tacos
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat (if possible, brush with a pastry brush).
- Place a taco shell in the heat until golden brown spots appear and they are slightly puffy for a few seconds, then flip and cook the same. Set on a plate to assemble.
- Layer with slaw, crispy cauliflower, avocados, jalapeños and cilantro over the soft taco shells.\
- Drizzle the taco shells with the chipotle crema.
- Serve with limes. Enjoy!
Recipe Courtesy of Jessica in the Kitchen
More Jessica in the Kitchen: https://jessicainthekitchen.com/crispy-cauliflower-tacos-chipotle-crema/