(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) With Labor Day weekend just around the corner, why not give your mom’s macaroni salad a vegan makeover? This classic summer staple is perfect for potlucks, picnics, barbeques, and pretty much any summertime gathering.
This typical deli-style macaroni salad is chock-full of crunchy vegetables like broccoli florets, carrots, green onions, red bell peppers, and celery–giving it a nice crunchy texture. But the main ingredient that takes this recipe to the next level? The smoked tofu.
What’s more, this salad is super easy to prep ahead of time. Whip up the dressing and prep the vegetables, tofu, and macaroni noodles separately. Add the dressing 30 minutes to an hour before serving, mix together, and refrigerate until ready to eat. Voila! — Global Animal
Vegan Macaroni Salad
Yield: 7 cups
- ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp dill pickle juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp yellow prepared mustard
- 1½ tsp sriracha
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp dill pickles, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 4½ cups cooked elbow macaroni, not rinsed, cooled
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- ⅓ cup grated carrot
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup smoked tofu, cubed
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the vegan mayo and unsweetened almond milk. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, combine the 4½ cups of cooked and cooled elbow macaroni with the dressing. At first the pasta will be a little sticky from the starch, once the dressing coats the noodles they’ll be easier to stir.) Add the vegetables, smoked tofu and stir well. For best flavour, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or until chilled) before serving.
Substituting the Smoked Tofu — If you can’t find smoked tofu, follow my Sriracha and Soy Sauce Tofu recipe with the addition of a couple of drops of liquid smoke and marinate for at least 1 hour. Instead of cutting the tofu into bite-size pieces, cut it into slices, slightly thicker than the image below:
Recipe Courtesy of I Love Vegan
More I Love Vegan: http://www.ilovevegan.com/vegan-macaroni-salad/