(MEAT-FREE MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) Nothing says ‘summer’ quite like fresh watermelon. For this Meatless Monday, sip on this watermelon frosty–or margarita, for your next cocktail party!
Not only is watermelon low in fat and only about 40 calories per cup, but it’s also super hydrating, which is great for beating the summer heat! It also contains fiber, potassium, and lycopene, which is linked with heart health, bone health, and prostate cancer prevention.
As a tip, frozen melon makes for the best smoothies. Freeze watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew, and more for the frostiest, most delicious smoothies and shakes ever! — Global Animal
Watermelon Frosty (or Margarita)
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 1/4 – 3 cups frozen watermelon, cubes
- 1/2 – 3/4 cups coconut water or water (add more as needed)
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup, grade B
- 1 juicy lime, squeezed (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 fresh banana
- Optional: for a creamier, thicker texture toss in 1/2 – 1 frozen banana too!
- Optional: add a few pinches of cayenne for a spicy kick!
- Party cocktail version: add 1-2 shots of your fave alcohol and reduce water a bit
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender like a Vitamix and blend until frosty. Note: Start off with just 1/4 cup of the water liquid and add more in splashes as needed to blend.
- Pour into frosted glasses to keep cool, garnish with lime or fresh watermelon sliced.
Recipe Courtesy of Lumch Box Bunch
More Lunch Box Bunch: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2011/05/watermelon-frosty-or-margarita.html