(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) For this week’s Meat-Free Monday, try this dairy-free coconut horchata–it’s creamy, sweet, and loaded with vanilla flavor.
But this traditional horchata recipe incorporates one not-so-traditional addition: coconut milk. This will give you a horchata that’s extra rich and creamy, but still totally vegan. Simply soak some rice and a cinnamon stick in water for a bit, then blend and strain. Feel free to add some maple syrup (in place of granulated sugar) for extra vegan sweetness.
This beverage is best served on ice with a pinch of cinnamon for the best flavor and freshness, but it can store up to two days or more–just make sure to give it a good stir! Enjoy! — Global Animal
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 medium (about 3 inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 cups water, plus extra for soaking
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
- Place the rice and cinnamon stick into a bowl and cover with a few inches of water. Allow to soak for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain the excess water, and then transfer the rice and cinnamon stick to a blender. Add 2 cups of water. Blend until the rice is very finely ground and the liquid is a milky color.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl or large-mouthed pitcher. Stir in the coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla. You can thin the mixture with some additional water and/or coconut milk, if you like.
- Divide ice cubes among glasses and pour the horchata over the ices. Sprinkle each glass with some ground cinnamon, and serve.
Recipe Courtesy of Oh My Veggies
More Oh My Veggies: https://ohmyveggies.com/coconut-horchata/