(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) For this week’s Meat-Free Monday, try this delicious zucchini with chickpea and mushroom stuffing recipe. The dish is 100 percent vegan, and it can be used as a main dish or as a side–depending on the appetite and occasion. They also make for great appetizers at any dinner party! As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Zucchini With Chickpea & Mushroom Stuffing
Yield: 8 servings
- 4 zucchini, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 (8 ounce) package button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- sea salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a shallow baking dish.
- Scoop out the flesh of the zucchini; chop the flesh and set aside. Place the shells in the prepared dish.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions for 5 minutes, then add garlic and saute 2 minutes more. Stir in chopped zucchini and mushrooms; saute 5 minutes. Stir in coriander, cumin, chickpeas, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into zucchini shells.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until zucchini are tender.
*Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Recipe Courtesy of Jackie via All Recipes