(MEAT-FREE MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) This 8-ingredient zucchini lasagna is not only nutritious and flavorful, but it’s also vegan and gluten-free.
Use ribboned (or thinly sliced) zucchini squash in place of regular pasta noodles, or you could try substituting eggplant, sweet potatoes, or gluten-free lasagna noodles.
What’s more, the vegan, macadamia nut-based ricotta cheese is very close in flavor and texture. It almost tastes like the real thing! As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
8-Ingredient Zucchini Lasagna
Yield: 9 servings
- 3 cups (402 g) raw macadamia nuts, soaked blanched almonds*, or 1 16-ounce block extra firm tofu*, drained and pressed dry for 10 minutes)
- 2 Tbsp (6 g) nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup (30 g) fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lemon, juiced (2 Tbsp or 30 ml)
- optional: 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (for flavor + richness)
- 1 tsp sea salt + pinch black pepper
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water, plus more as needed (reduce if using tofu as it requires less)
- optional: 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 28-ounce (793 g) jar favorite marinara sauce (I like Trader Joe’s organic tomato basil)
- 3 zucchini squash, thinly sliced with a mandolin (or sub eggplant with this recipe as a guide)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (176 C).
- Add macadamia nuts to a food processor or blender and mix to combine, scraping down sides as needed. You’re looking for a fine meal.
- Add remaining ingredients: Nutritional yeast, fresh basil, oregano, lemon juice, olive oil (optional), salt, pepper, water and vegan parmesan cheese (optional). You are looking for a well-puréed mixture/paste.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt and pepper for flavor, nutritional yeast for cheesiness, and lemon juice for brightness.
- Pour about 1 cup marinara sauce into a 9×13-inch (or similar size) baking dish and line with thinly sliced zucchini.
- Scoop small spoonfuls amounts of ricotta mixture over the zucchini and gently spread into a thin layer. Spread on a layer of marinara sauce and then top with more zucchini slices. Continue until all filling and zucchini are used up. The top two layers should be zucchini and then sauce. Sprinkle on vegan parmesan cheese (optional), and then cover with foil.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake for 15 minutes more. The zucchini should be very easily pierced when cut with a knife. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Serve immediately with additional vegan parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Leftovers keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator, or in the freezer up to 1 month.
Recipe Courtesy of Minimalist Baker
More Minimalist Baker: http://minimalistbaker.com/8-ingredient-zucchini-lasagna-gf/