(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) It’s the perfect time of the year for warm, hearty meals like chili, casseroles, lasagna, and, of course, mom’s famous meatloaf. Give this traditional dish a healthy spin by opting to go vegan and gluten-free! Replace the meat with lentils in this delicious faux meatloaf, drenched in flavorful sauce. Not only is this recipe 100 percent guilt-free, but it’s also packed full of nutrients! As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Mom’s Ultimate Vegetarian Lentil Loaf
Yield: 5 servings
- 1 cup green lentils
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced, optional
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour (you can make your own!)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil (about 2-3 leaves)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- dash of gluten free soy sauce
- dash of hot sauce, optional
- Rinse the lentils in a large mesh strainer. Add 2 cups of water to a large pot with a dash of salt and bring to a boil, add in lentils, bring to a boil again, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until lentils absorb most of the water. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Mix flaxseed meal and 1/3 cup water to a small bowl and place in the refrigerator while you make the rest of the loaf. The flaxseed meal will help bind the loaf together.
- Place large pan over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Once oil is hot, add in garlic, onion, bell pepper, carrots and jalapeno; saute for 5-7 minutes or until onions are translucent and carrots begin to soften a bit. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in spices and basil; set aside.
- Using a blender or food processor, blend only 1/2 of lentils. Transfer to the bowl with the sauteed veggies, and stir in the remaining lentils along with the oats, oat flour, and flaxseed meal (from the fridge!). Add salt and pepper, then taste and add more spices or salt and pepper if desired.
- Add mixture to prepared loaf pan, pressing and smoothing to the side to make sure it bakes evenly. Quickly prepare your glazed by combining all ingredients in a small bowl then spreading over the top of the loaf. Bake loaf for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 5-10 minutes. Serves 5.
Notes: This is freezer-friendly, simple wrap tight or place in a freezer safe ziploc bag. Will stay good for up to 3 months. You can also bake and then freeze it in the loaf pan, just ensuring that it is tightly covered.
Recipe Courtesy of Ambitious Kitchen
More Ambitious Kitchen: http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2014/09/moms-ultimate-vegetarian-lentil-loaf/