(MEAT-FREE MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) Looking for something to spice up your winter? These puffy nachos with spicy black beans are sure to heat up your kitchen.
Make the nacho chips by frying tortilla triangles in canola oil, then top them with a creamy vegan queso, spicy black beans, diced tomatoes, olives, onions, jalapenos, cilantro, and any other toppings you desire! As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Puffy Nachos With Spicy Black Beans
Fried puffy nacho chips are topped with spicy black beans and creamy vegan queso. File this under “perfect cozy meal.”
*The white tortillas are truer to the Tasty Tacos experience, but the chips will take on more of the oil flavor. The wheat retain more of their wheat-flavor, which may taste too healthy for you depending on your preferences, but that also masks any taste from the oil.
Yield: 2 Servings
Nacho Cheese Sauce
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 cup water
- 3-4 regular-sized tortillas, wheat or white*
- Organic canola oil or your preferred neutral-flavored high heat oil, for frying
- 1 batch nacho cheese sauce (recipe below)
- ½ batch Spicy Black Beans
- Toppings: (Any or all of the following) Diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapeno peppers, olives
To make the nacho cheese:
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine nutritional yeast flakes, all purpose flour, paprika, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. Add water and whisk constantly (a fork also works for this) over a medium heat until the sauce becomes thick like a gravy. Set aside.
To make the puffy nachos:
- Cut tortillas into triangles using kitchen shears. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized non-stick skillet, cover the bottom of the pan with organic canola oil (about ¼ inch in depth), and bring to a medium-hot heat. Once the oil quickly bubbles around the tortillas when they are dipped into the pan, the oil is ready. In small batches, being careful not to overcrowd, fry the tortilla triangles. Fry for a few minutes, until browned, and then flip to fry for a few more minutes.
- Once the triangles have browned, move them to a towel-covered plate to drain. Continue frying the remaining tortilla triangles in batches until completed.
- Once the tortilla chips have drained, move them to a serving platter. Top them with Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce, Spicy Black Beans, your preferred toppings, and serve.
Recipe Courtesy: Cadry’s Kitchen
More Cadry’s Kitchen: http://cadryskitchen.com/2013/09/18/back-in-thyme-puffy-nachos-with-spicy-black-beans/