(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) Butternut squash is everyone’s favorite fall ingredient. And with temperatures staring to cool down, who doesn’t love a bowl of warm, hearty soup?
For this week’s Meat-Free Monday recipe, try this delicious vegan butternut squash soup. The variety of herbs and spices perfectly compliment the squash’s sweetness. Garnish with crushed Corn Nuts and add truffle oil at the end to make these fall flavors really pop. — Global Animal
Butternut Squash Soup
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. whole peppercorns
- 1 cup white wine
- 5 cups water
- 2 large onions, diced, with 1/4 cup reserved
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. white truffle oil, optional
- 1/4 cup Corn Nuts snack, plain flavor, coarsely crushed, for garnish
- Place the carrot, celery, parsley, thyme, peppercorns, bay leaf, white wine, water, and all but 1/4 cup of the onions in a large pot, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 hours. Strain the soup, discard the pulp, and return the liquid to the pot.
- Add the squash and remaining onion to the pot and cook over medium heat until the squash is tender. Transfer the squash, onion, and one cup of the liquid (reserving the remaining liquid in a separate container) to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Season it with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add the truffle oil, if desired. Blend again until oil is incorporated.
- Pour the purée back into the pot and add some of the reserved liquid, stirring to achieve desired consistency. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle Corn Nuts over each.
Recipe Courtesy: PETA