(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) For this week’s Meat-Free Monday, it’s time to embrace the flavors of fall!
This vegetarian rice bowl combines butternut squash and pumpkin seeds with a delicious Mexican mole sauce for a delicious fall fusion. Use lime wedges for garnishing to give the dish an extra pop of zest.
This dish is so hearty and satisfying, you’ll forget it’s 100 percent vegan! As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Roasted Squash and Pumpkin Seed Mole Bowls
This vegetarian squash bowl is so hearty and luscious you’ll hardly miss the meat.
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1″ chunks
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 c. raw shelled pumpkin seeds, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tomatillos, husked and halved
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 jalapeno chile, sliced
- 3/4 c. vegetable stock
- 1/2 c. coconut milk
- 1/2 c. parsley, chopped
- 1/4 c. packed cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss squash with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Arrange on baking sheet; roast 35 to 40 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in 10″ skillet, toast pumpkin seeds, cumin seed and oregano on medium 3 minutes or until fragrant, stirring. Remove from heat; set aside. In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium. Add onion, tomatillos, garlic and jalapeno; cook 5 minutes or until slightly browned. Place vegetables, pumpkin seeds and spice mixture in blender or food processor. Pulse a few times; then add stock, coconut milk, parsley, cilantro, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Process until smooth. Makes 3 cups.
- Return mixture to skillet; simmer on medium stirring often, 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Divide rice and squash among 4 bowls; dollop with sauce. Serve remaining sauce on the side. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
Recipe Courtesy: Good Housekeeping