(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) For this week’s Meat-Free Monday recipe, try this vegan-friendly version of a classic Italian dish. This cheeseless black bean lasagna is a unique spin on a hearty pasta favorite, and is packed with tofu and black beans for a good protein fix. The crumbly tofu texture resembles everyone’s favorite ricotta cheese, but without the guilt! As always, happy eating! — Global Animal
Cheeseless Black Bean Lasagna
A unique spin on a hearty pasta favorite.
Yield: 8 Servings
- 14 oz. extra-firm tofu
- 2 can black beans
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 c. water
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ c. raw cashews
- ¼ c. nutritional yeast (optional)
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
- 8 oz. no-boil lasagna noodles
- Place tofu between 4 paper towel sheets. Place heavy skilley on top for 1 hour, pressing down on tofu.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Into 4-quart saucepot, stir black baens, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, onion, oregano, garlic powder, 2 teaspoon. salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Heat to boiling on medium-high, stirring often. Reduce head to maintain simmer; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While sauce cooks, in food processor, pulse cashews until finely ground; transfer to large bowl, along with pressed tofu. With hands, crumble tofu until texture resembles ricotta cheese. Stir in yeast (if using), olive oil, basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- In 13- by 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish, spread 1 cup tomato sauce and tofu mixture; repeat layering twice. Top with 1 cup sauce. Spread sauce to completely cover noodles. Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes or until noodles are tender. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe Courtesy: Good Housekeeping