(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) Have an animal-friendly 4th of July with this fun and festive vegan recipe! Bursting with fireworks of flavor, this avocado and tangerine salad with homemade jalapeño vinaigrette will make the perfect addition to any Independence Day celebration. So, grab your sparklers and salad tongs, and try this party on your plate today! — Global Animal
Avocado and Tangerine Salad with Jalapeño Vinaigrette
Yield: 8 servings
- 1/2 cup fresh tangerine juice
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 4 tangerines or clementines, peeled, sliced into rounds
- 6 cups purslane, arugula, or watercress, thick stems trimmed
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 ounces vegan feta, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
Simmer tangerine juice in a small saucepan until syrupy and reduced to about 2 Tbsp., 5–8 minutes. Let cool.
Heat a small heavy skillet over medium- high heat. Cook jalapeño, turning occasionally, until blistered and charred all over, about 8 minutes. (Alternatively, roast jalapeño directly over gas flame, turning occasionally.) Let cool; remove stem, skin, and seeds, then finely chop.
Whisk shallot, vinegar, reduced tangerine juice, and half of jalapeño in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Whisk in vegetable oil, then olive oil. Add remaining jalapeño, if desired. Set vinaigrette aside.
Toss avocados, tangerines, purslane, mint, and vinaigrette in a large bowl; top with feta.
DO AHEAD: Vinaigrette can be made 1 day ahead; cover and chill.
Recipe Courtesy: Ed Kenney