(MEATLESS MONDAYS/VEGAN RECIPES) For this Meat Free Monday, we have a nutritional yeast Quick Mac n Cheese recipe from Healthy Happy Life for a classic comfort food dish that is easy, creamy and healthy. Try this “from scratch” recipe using nutritional yeast as the flavor base of the “cheese” sauce and sweet potato for added flavor, sweetness and texture. There’s nothing better than a good bowl of mac-n-cheese, so eat up! — Global Animal
- 6-7 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 1/2 cups plain soy milk
- 1 cup sweet potato, mashed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (opt’l)
- 1/2 cup onion
- *8 oz pasta
*I used whole wheat shells
- For a ultra-rich n creamy sauce, use half soy milk/half soy creamer as liquid.
- You can bake this pasta and add a thin layer of vegan cheese on top to get that bubbly baked look and taste.
- Tbsp of Vegenaise – adds a sweet creamy accent
- Heat your sweet potato – about small to medium sized – in the microwave or oven. Heat until cooked through.
- Boil some salted water on the stove and drop your pasta for cooking as directed on box/bag.
- While your pasta is cooking, add your nutritional yeast flakes, garlic powder, pepper, vinegar and soy milk to a large mixing bowl. Stir well.
- Finely chop your onion and add it to the mixing bowl. Mix.
- When your sweet potato is ready, peel off the skin and mash it well. Scoop about 1 cup of the mashed sweet potato into your mixing bowl. Mash it well into the liquid. You should get a nice thick creamy orange sauce. You can always add more liquid if you’d like a thinner sauce. And you can add more sweet potato if you’d like it super thick and a tad sweeter. You can even add in more nutri-yeast flakes for an extra strong nutty ‘cheese’ flavor.
- Drain your cooked pasta and drop it right into you mixing bowl and fold in the sauce. You won’t need to heat the pasta ‘cheese’ sauce separately because the warm pasta will provide heat. However, you can keep the pasta warm in a 180 degree oven, or re-heat in oven or microwave as needed.
Serve and enjoy some easy vegan comfort pasta!
Recipe Courtesy: Lunch Box Bunch
More Lunch Box Bunch: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2010/01/vegan-mac-n-cheese-two-dairy-free.html