One inquisitive omnivore’s journey towards healthier and more compassionate eating…
(MEATLESS MEALS/VEGAN RECIPES) Since I’m usually on the lookout for healthy and meat-free meal ideas, I was happy to give The Vegan Diva’s Cookbook a try.
The cookbook is by Fernanda Capobianco, owner of the Vegan Diva’s Bakery in New York City. As you’d expect, it’s full of healthy, cruelty-free fare, but what might surprise you is how informative and creative it is.
It’s not only loaded with great tips on healthy eating, but there’s also a resourceful list of ingredients to use in lieu of the animal products we’re accustomed to cooking with, like eggs and butter.
The Vegan Diva’s recipes seem a little more intricate than the ones I usually make. If you’ve read my blog, you know I tend to look for dishes that are healthy, tasty, and simple—readily available ingredients with little prep time.
But one quick and easy recipe that caught my eye was the Vegan Diva’s Walnut Pâté Apple Sandwich—so savory and sweet. Yum!
Walnut Pâté Apple Sandwich
- 1 cup walnut halves
- One 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsps extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 slices whole-grain bread (I used Oroweat Sandwich Thins)
- 4 large jarred roasted red bell peppers; rinsed, drained and halved
- 2 large organic Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced vertically
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
Make the Pâté:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 7 to 10 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until lightly browned and fragrant. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the toasted walnuts to the bowl of a food processor. Add the beans, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and 1/4 cup water. Purée until smooth, about 45 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
Assemble the Sandwiches:
- Spread each of the 8 bread slices with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the walnut pâté.
- Top each with a red bell pepper half, 2 apple slices, and 1/4 cup baby spinach.
- Spread the remaining 8 bread slices with 1 tablespoon of the walnut pâté. Place on top of the sandwiches and serve.
Also, if you enjoy pastries, cakes, and cookie recipes, you should definitely check out The Vegan Diva’s Cookbook. You’ll find lots of delicious goodies that are great for your conscience and waistline.
— Lisa Singer, exclusive to Global Animal