Anne Van Gorp, Global Animal

A Massachusetts woman received tragic news after her eight year-old cat was scheduled to receive a flea treatment but instead, was mistakenly euthanized.  

After her family dog showed signs of flea infestation, Colleen Conlon scheduled a bath treatment at Broadway Animal Hospital for her two felines, Lady and Little Bit. Her son Jessie dropped off Lady at the vet and returned home to pick up the other, as the cats share one travel carrier. 

Upon Jessie’s return, he inquired if his cat was ready to be taken home. To his shocking dismay, the vet, Dr. Muhammad Mali, asked if he wanted to keep the body. “I thought it was a cruel joke” Conlon stated, “it was like a blank stare back at each other for the first 10 seconds, then he immediately grabbed the papers I thought were registration forms and told me I had signed the papers.”

Photo Credit: Boulders Natural Animal

Conlon was given documents that belonged to another patient. Assuming he was filling out basic registration work, Conlon unknowingly completed and signed documents for Lady’s execution. 

The Conlon family is both disturbed and immensely shocked by this incident. Colleen called the veterinary office fifteen minutes before confirming

Help Put an End to Animal Malpractice!

the appointment, according to Newser.  Jesse stated that “prior to making this appointment, we had talked in great detail about the plan of care to get rid of the fleas, ” leaving Jesse perplexed as to how this confusion could have occurred. 

This tragic event is even more upsetting for Colleen, as Lady was a gift from her deceased daughter, who died in a car accident in 2010. 

Conlon has filed a complaint with the attorney general’s office and plans to speak with the state Board of Registration. “I don’t think there was any malicious intent, but I do think it was negligent,” she said. “I’m sure there are standards of practice they have to follow.”

Our hearts go out to the Conlon family for their devastating loss. We hope pet guardians will learn from this story so these kind of mistakes will be avoided in the future. Pet guardians should always take conscious precautions when bringing their animals to the veterinarian especially when signing documentation. We understand this situation was due to negligence on both parties, but we strive to end and prevent any form of malpractice. Please sign the petition to help end animal medical malpractice and protect our pets!