(DOLPHINS) SWITZERLAND — Two dolphins died at a Swiss marine park after eating a heroin substitute that ended up in their tank after a rave held at the park in November. Scientists determined the drugs effected the part of the brain that tells dolphins when to surface for air. How or if the park is going to be held responsible for the unfortunate dolphin deaths has not been said. Read on for more on this horrible incident. — Global Animal  
Dolphins performing at Connyland Park. Photo Credit: CNN

CNN, Brad Lendon

Two dolphins at a Swiss theme park died after ingesting a heroin substitute around the same time as a weekend rave at the park last November, according to reports from Switzerland.

A toxicology report from a forensics institute in St. Gallen, Switzerland, showed tests found traces of the heroin substitute buprenorphine in the dolphins’ urine, according to a report in London’s Daily Mail online, citing Swiss media reports.

The dolphins died within five days of each other in November, after the area near their pool in the Connyland marine park had been rented out for a weekend rave, according to the reports.

Cornelis van Elk, a Dutch marine biologist, said the drugs turn off a part of the dolphins’ brains which tells them when to surface for air.

Connyland keeper Nadja Gasser told local media how one of the dolphins, named Chelmers, died, according to the Daily Mail.

“He was drifting under the water and was clearly in trouble and so we jumped into the water.

“We tried to hold him. He was shaking all over and was foaming at the mouth.

“Eventually we got him out of the water. His tongue was hanging out. He could hardly breathe.

“He was given adrenalin, but it didn’t help.

“After an hour the dolphin died.”

In a report in the Daily Mail shortly after the rave, wildlife experts said noise from the event could have stressed the animals’ immune systems and led to the death of the first dolphin, Shadow. 
 

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS:

SHARE

8 COMMENTS

  1. WTF? WHY on EARTH was a rave being held near a dolphin enclosure? The noise levels from the music alone would have been enough to cause them severe distress. (Keep in mind that water amplifies and carries sound.) Let alone some selfish imbecile giving them drugs!