UNITED KINGDOM – Pet guardians watch out: There’s a crack down on those who don’t pick up after their dogs. Dog poop contains toxins that can cause serious illness and death, so please, be responsible and pick up the poop. – Global Animal
A council in Greater Manchester clamping down on dog mess has issued 52 fixed penalty notices to irresponsible owners in a recent campaign.
Oldham Council said most owners in the the town were responsible but some were prepared to leave their pet’s faeces on pavements, parks and open spaces.
Dog faeces carries toxocariasis, which can lead to death and blindness.
Enforcement officers have been working outside of their normal hours, in plain clothes, to catch owners.
‘Blight on communities’
The weekend patrols will continue for the rest of the year, the council said.
Councillor Rod Blyth, cabinet member for Community Safety and Public Protection, said: “Everyone has a right to live in a clean and safe environment and dog fouling is not just a blight on communities – it is also potentially dangerous.”
“A recent Keep Britain Tidy survey found that four out of five respondents were unaware that dog mess can be thrown in any general litter bin.
“We continue to work hard to try and raise local awareness of this message whilst also punishing the minority of pet owners who continue to act irresponsibly.”
As part of the clamp down, residents have been asked for their views on introducing laws which would ban dogs from children’s play areas and ensure they are on leads in seven town parks.