Categories

The Danger Of Marijuana Edibles: What To Do When Your Dog Is Stoned

(DOGS/PET SAFETY) When a Chihuahua named Peanut dug into a bag that was off limits, he ended up finding a toxic treat. The pup ate a marijuana cookie which gave him a dangerous, and potentially deadly high. Luckily his companions knew exactly what to do.

Read on to find out the important steps to take if your curious furry friend gets into a forbidden bag of treats. — Global Animal

Photo Credit: Imgur

Peanut the Chihuahua is cared for at the local university veterinary medical school after ingesting an edible marijuana cookie. Photo Credit: Imgur

The DoDo, Stephen Messenger

Peanut the Chihuahua got more than he bargained for after helping himself to a cookie that didn’t belong to him.

He got high — like, super DUPER high.

Turns out, it was no ordinary forbidden treat.

As Peanut’s owner, Reddit user Choices63, explains online: “We had an overnight guest. Our Chihuahua found his stash, ate an entire weed-laced cookie … He actually dug it out of a duffel bag. Had to work hard to get it. It was the cookie he was after, not the weed.”

Apparently, no one’s ever told Peanut about edibles.

That sudden intake of THC didn’t have a pleasing effect on the little pup. As the drug set in, he was unable to stand, and began acting all jittery and paranoid. It was not only a bad high, however, it was a health hazard.

Photo Credit: Imgur

Due to the strong effects of the THC, Peanut temporarily lost his ability to stand. Photo Credit: Imgur

Fortunately, Peanut’s family did just the right thing.

“We took him to a local university vet medical school,” writes Choices63. “He only weighs 6 lbs so we were concerned about how much he had, plus there was some chocolate in the cookie so just wanted to be safe. What was funny is they weren’t fazed at all — clearly not the first time they had seen a stoned animal.”

There, vets induced Peanut to vomit up what was left of the purloined cookie and fed him activated charcoal to absorb what toxins remained in his body.

Ten hours later, Peanut was discharged.

“He was pretty normal by the time we got him home,” Choices63 writes.

Photo Credit: Imgur

Luckily, Peanut was feeling back to normal after vet’s induced vomiting and fed him activated charcoal to absorb the remaining toxins. Photo Credit: Imgur

With legal marijuana becoming increasingly available to consumers, oftentimes baked into tasty confections, cases of stoned dogs have been on the rise. That’s why it’s crucial, now more than ever, that pet owners understand the dangers — and what to do about it.

“Marijuana toxicity is no laughing matter and if people note their dogs have gotten into it they should seek veterinary care immediately,” veterinarian Robert Proietto told The Dodo last year.

“It is also important to tell the veterinarian the truth. No veterinarian is going to judge their client for being honest and we will never contact the police. We just want to know what is going on so we can treat the pet to the best of our ability.”

More The DoDo: https://www.thedodo.com/stoned-chihuahua-gets-help-2001405492.html

(Visited 4,833 times, 1 visits today)

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS:

, , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

No comments yet.