Topnav

Is Rat Poison A Threat To Your Dog?

(PET HEALTH) We know that rat poison is deadly, but how bad is it for your pooch? Ciara Black is a Global Animal contributor from the Dog Help Network, a resource for dog health related websites. Read on for must know information for all dog guardians about keeping your pet safe from rat poison. — Global Animal

 

By Ciara Black

Rat poison is a very effective way to rid your yard and house of rodents throughout the winter. However, not only is rat poison toxic to rodents, but to dogs as well. Rat poisons are designed to “taste good” for rats and dogs will eat rat poison, if they get the chance.

Dogs eating rat poison is not an uncommon problem for dog owners. Rat poisons and other rodenticides can be fatal, even in small amounts. When it comes to dealing with dogs eating rat poison, there are a few things that should be kept in mind.

Rat poisons and other rodenticides can be fatal, even in small amounts. Rat poison may be ingested directly, through a pellet, or indirectly by consuming a rodent who had been poisoned.

Photo credit: pawsforaminute.businesscatalyst.com

What Does Rat Poison Do To My Dog?

Rat poison and rodenticides are designed to cause internal hemorrhaging in rodents. A rodent may not die for a few days after it has consumed the poison, which means it will be slowly dying from internal bleeding. As scary as that sounds, the same thing will happen to your dog.

Rat poisons are made with blood thinners, which will stop blood from clotting inside your dog’s system and leak into the organs, stomach and other cavities. When your dog has been poisoned, you will likely see blood in the urine, stool, saliva and bleeding from the nose.

Rat Poison Symptoms In Dogs

Rat poison may be ingested directly by consuming poisonous pellets, or indirectly from your dog eating or playing with a dead rodent that has been poisoned. Symptoms of rat poisoning usually don’t start to show until a few hours after consumption. Sometimes, symptoms may not even show for 24-48 hours.

Symptoms to look for include:

  • Pale gums
  • Blood in the saliva
  • Low body temperature
  • Bruising
  • Weakness
  • Loss of coordination
  • Muscle spasms
  • Blood in urine or feces
  • Rapid breathing

Your dog’s symptoms may vary, but it is important to take your dog to the veterinarian immediately if you suspect he has ingested any type of rat poison.

Things To Keep In Mind

It is no doubt that your dog could die from rat poison consumption if he is not treated properly. However, there are many different factors that contribute to if your dog will die or not. All poisons will react differently with your dog. Since the most popular are warafin based, or anti-coagulants, it is safe to assume that these factors are as accurate as possible.

If you are wondering how much rat poison can kill a dog, consider these factors:

Size of your dog - The first thing to keep in mind is the size of your dog. A 10 pound dog will likely be more quickly affected by rat poison than a 100 pound dog. One small pellet of rat poison may not be enough to make a large dog sick for hours, but could potentially kill a small dog very quickly.

When it comes to large dogs, it takes quite a bit of poison consumption to show any symptoms. Even if you don’t notice any symptoms right away, always take your dog to the veterinarian as soon as you suspect he consumed any poison.

How much was consumed - How much rat poison your dog consumed is obviously a very important part in determining the severity of the poisoning. The easiest way to calculate how much poison your dog would have to consume to become sick is to calculate 50mg of poison per kg weight of your dog.

Type of poison - The different chemicals used in the rodent poison is also a very important thing to consider. Some poisons will affect your dog more quickly than others. Warafin is the most popular type of rat poison, which causes internal bleeding. Some rodent poisons have an ingredient called Bitrex, which makes the pellets taste bitter. This means your dog is less likely to keep eating the poisons if they taste bad.

Another thing to keep in mind is how old the poison might be. Old rat poison that has been sitting for a long time is less toxic to dogs compared to new pellets. This means the poison in the pellets has likely disintegrated over time.

If you suspect your dog may have consumed rat poison, call your veterinarian right away, even if no symptoms are present yet.

For more information about dogs eating rat poison, what to do in an emergency situation, symptoms and more, visit www.ratpoisonanddogs.com

, , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

7 Responses to Is Rat Poison A Threat To Your Dog?

  1. Does Hypnosis Work January 1, 2014 at 10:30 pm #

    Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this site.

    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s difficult to get that “perfect balance” between usability and visual appeal.
    I must say you have done a excellent job with this. In addition,
    the blog loads very quick for me on Internet explorer.
    Excellent Blog!

  2. paleo Cookbook October 28, 2013 at 9:06 am #

    It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future
    and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could
    I desire to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions.
    Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article.

    I desire to read more things about it!

  3. Sara billington October 26, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

    The council had put rat poison down in my house my dog found the rat dead he carried it from one room to another bit didn’t bite it or chew it what’s the chances of my dog being poisoned through just carrying the dead rat. Plz reply ASAP am really worried tks

  4. Maria Hughes October 21, 2013 at 5:07 am #

    I suspect that my chihuahua has consumed rat poison. I was walking her and she drank the tiniest bit of dirty water from the gutter, I tried yelling at her to stop but she’s “cloth eared..”. My dad said that sometimes people put rat poison in the water of gutters, I am hoping that she just doesn’t feel well after drinking the dirty water, but thankyou for this article I will defiantly keep an eye on my dog and monitor her closely..

  5. Stacey Elaine Allen September 2, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

    My dog just died from this saturday . We believe my neighbor poisoned him because he had to get rid of his aggressive pittbull . My poor little Bentley fought for his life but in the end the vet said the best thing for him was to put him down because he was in pain

  6. Kristine Metcalfe July 5, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

    We know how much you love your pets. But did you know that.
    every time you try to get rid of ticks and fleas using chemicals.
    you put your pet on death row?
    Are you aware that every time you apply a chemical product.
    against fleas and ticks on your cat or dog, you actually use a.
    venom use to poison cockroaches on your pet, the member of your.
    family?

    We're sure that is not your intention. We invite you to join our.
    Cause in helping other pet owners to obtain the accurate.
    facts about the tragic outcome of the use of these products.
    Help us save the lives of as many pets as we can and provide them a.
    happy and long lasting future.
    Visit this link and learn more: http://www.petprotector.org/?ID=27675.
    The Pet Protector is the best non-chemical anti-parasite protection.
    for your pet that is also not life threatening to your household.

    Do not hesitate!
    Every minute we lose one poor pet passes away due the use of chemicals.
    Let us fight together for the long and happy life of our beloved ones.
    In addition to the satisfaction of knowing that you have helped other pets,
    our company secures your financial benefit.
    Visit this link and learn more: http://www.petprotector.org/?ID=27675.

    Sincerely,

    kristine

  7. Maria Cermola on Facebook February 11, 2012 at 4:31 am #

    This is a very brief, but good article of the dangers of some rat poisons. Keep in mind the key point is TAKE YOUR PET TO THE VET IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK IT MAY HAVE EATEN RAT POISON!!! DON’T WAIT TO SEE SYMPTOMS!!! For many reasons, once you see symptoms it is much worse for your pet, harder to treat, MUCH more expensive for you (because of the increased care your pet will need), & the potential of survival for your pet is greatly decreased. There are MANY different types of rat poison with different ingredients. If you have the package the poison came in BRING IT TO YOUR VET WITH YOUR PET! It will be a huge help for your pet & it’s chance of survival! I hope no one has to deal with this situation.