Have you ever wondered how fish communicate? Or why you just can’t shake those pesky mosquitoes? There are so many things that we still don’t know about our friends in the animal kingdom, but we learn new, fun, and weird animal facts all the time. Check out these facts about animals, mammals, insects and more. Then share some trivia of your own in the comments!
– Tazi Phillips, Global Animal
2. Goldfish lose their color if kept in dim light. Similar to humans, they need sunlight to keep their pigment.
3. A flamingo can only eat when it’s head is upside down.
4. Mosquitos are attracted to the color blue twice as much as to any other color.
5. Goat’s eyes have rectangular pupils, which allow them to watch over their broad, flat grazing area for predators.
6. Honeybees have hairs on their eyes to help them collect pollen.
7. The giraffe has no vocal cords and communicates by vibrating the air around its neck.
8. Dolphins sleep with one half of the brain at a time, and with one eye closed.
9. A snail can sleep for 3 years at a stretch.
10. Most elephants weigh less than the tongue of a blue whale.
11. All polar bears are left-handed.
12. A rat can last longer without water than a camel.
13. Fish communicate with each other by rasping their teeth to make sounds in their throat, or by using their swim bladder to create sounds.
14. Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.
15. The hummingbird is the only animal that can fly backwards.
Check out 26 more Animal Facts: Who Knew! Animals Facts From A to Z